Installation Instructions for fitting
Boat Steering Australia
BSA installation Hydraulic steering Instructions
BSA Bleeding the Hydraulic unit troubleshooting
• BSA helm pump 1000 PSI.
• BSABH300 Series front mount cylinder to suit major brands of outboard engines.
• 2 x 6.4 metre semi-rigid nylon hose kit suits most makes on the market.
• 2 X High pressure adjustable hose fittings included for optional length adjustment.
• oil filler kit.
Steering wheel included – 3/4″ tapered shaft fits most steering wheels on the market.
Suits most brands of outboards up to 150HP. Select your model from the dropdown list.
BSA front mount steering offers unmatched comfort and control. The most popular outboard hydraulic system offers smooth, super efficient steering for today’s high performance hulls with single station outboards. 20% less effort at hard over than competitive brands. Ultra corrosion resistant materials are used throughout the hydraulic system.
The BSA Hydraulic System
High-horsepower/high-speed boating is here and steering systems must perform at maximum capacity. The BSA Hydraulic Steering System is designed to provide that extra margin of muscle when needed and easily handles Outboard, up to 50 feet.
System selection, installation and service is substantially simplified with just three major components – helm, cylinder and tube or hose. BSA has a comprehensive range of available cylinders to handle a variety of Outboards,These are suitable for both pleasure and commercial applications. Extra steering stations and/or autopilots are easily added.
• Easy to install
• Only three components: helm, cylinder & tube or hose
• Compact and attractive helm design
• Variety of helm mounting configurations
• Simple tube/hose fitting connections
• Clear, complete installation instructions
• Easy to fill and purge
• Engineered bleed fittings on the cylinders
• A helm and lock valve design that enhances air removal
• A no-mess filler device
• A filling and purging time of normally less than 30 minutes
• Easy to check for proper installation
• Easy purging check via filler device
• No searching for difficult-to-find air leaks
• Easy to turn
• Anti-friction piston points
• Designed to provide many years of service…
• Precision built
• Heavy-duty bearings instead of bushings
• All metal construction
• No corrosive materials exposed to marine environment
• Field replaceable helm and cylinder shaft seals
BSA hydraulic steering systems are simple and efficient. The basic system consists of three main components:
1. The Helm Unit
The BSA helm pump is an axial piston pump specifically designed for manual steering. It has a built-in lock valve to prevent the steering load from feeding back to the driver. The lock valve will not allow the rudder or drive unit to move until you move it with the steering wheel. The lock valve section of the helm also includes a relief valve. This relief valve provides over-pressure protection for mechanical components and hydraulic hoses and fittings.
2. The Cylinder
The most important differences between the variety of BSA steering systems available is the cylinder selection. The BSA system has a cylinder for most steering applications.
3. Hoses and Tubes
Required to provide a path for the fluid to flow under pressure from the helm pump to the cylinder.